Waste management has become the need of the hour. It is not just about dumping trash in the garbage can, but is a systematic process of collection, transportation, and proper disposal of garbage and waste products. Waste management also offers various solutions for recycling and putting waste to productive use.
TYPES OF WASTE
To implement a proper waste management system in place, one needs to be aware of the different types of waste. Here are the different categorizations of waste:
- Solid Waste – Solid waste consists of items found in the house, along with some industrial and commercial locations.
- Liquid Waste – Houses’ and industries’ liquid waste.
- Organic waste – Organic waste is made of organic materials, such as food, garden waste, etc. Organic waste also includes plant and animal based waste and degradable waste, such as paper, cardboard, and timber.
- Agricultural Waste – It includes waste generated from crops and livestock.
- Bio-medical Waste – Bio-medical waste is any waste that is generated during the diagnosis, treatment, and immunization of human beings or animals.
- Recyclable Rubbish – Recyclable rubbish consists of all waste that can be converted into products and used again.
BENEFITS OF WASTE MANAGEMENT
The benefits of a proper waste management system are:
- Saves Natural Resources – It remains a matter of serious concern that many natural resources, such as trees, natural gas, and water are diminishing at a rapid pace. Everyone is aware that paper, cupboards, paper cups, and many other products are made from trees, which are being cut at on a large scale. But, the trees that are being cut are not being replaced at the same pace. Therefore, it is a far better idea to recycle paper products. Similarly, it is quite easy to recycle plastic and metal items. Many countries put up different garbage cans for recyclable items and non-recyclable items to allow for proper waste disposal.
- Saves Energy – Recycling of trash is a great way to save energy. Usually, to produce a new item, more energy is needed. Trash can also be used for producing energy. Authorities in Delhi have been planning on using the garbage dump in Okhla to produce electricity.
- Reduces Pollution – A proper waste management system that promotes recycling is one of the best tools to reduce pollution. Waste management ensures that people start managing their waste and recycling.
- Recycling Waste – Waste is big problem and it has been causing damage to the ocean too. A lot of the waste produced is dumped into the oceans. There are a number of large areas of waste, called “waste islands”, which are made of rubbish that has collected in a single place. Recycling trash is the best way to tackle this situation and recycling begins with waste management. It means that recyclable goods are collected into the garbage can for the same and other items go into the other garbage bins.
Implementing a waste management system will not only help you save money but it will also help save the environment.